Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stake Conference

Dad and I rushed from our car to the back entrance of the stake center this morning just minutes before stake conference was to begin.  Teagan came out the door to greet us and  said with a big smile, “We saved seats for you almost in the front row! We got here at 8:40 and hardly anyone is here!”  Sure enough, Teagan led us to  the 4th row and we sat on the “cushy” seats.  Because this was a video conference, half of our stake was at the Benicia building so there were plenty  of seats.  
Rosemary Wixom, the General Primary President, was one of the speakers.  She described a young mother who faithfully read the scriptures each morning to her  son as he ate his cereal. One morning the son said, “Mom, you know I’m not listening to you. I’m reading the Wheaties box.”  The mother responded, “Yes, I know.  But I’ve been promised that if I read to you each day from the scriptures that I will never lose you.  And I’m never going to lose you!”
I have recently listened to both Kelly and Kristen describe their successes and frustrations of scripture reading with their children.  I remember our own attempts, failures and successes as we tried to gather you all together.  While you are reading it seems like nothing too spiritual is happening.   But, I believe in the power of the scriptures to touch hearts and plant the seeds which teach by the warm feeling of the spirit.  It is worth whatever time you can give….even if only a couple of verses. 

3 comments:

  1. I loved her messages and I am remotivted to work harder with my kids. I bought the Book of Mormon on cd so that I have it in the car to listen to. I loved that she talked about the importance of small things like praying before a meal. In the proclamation it says we will be held accountable for teaching our children and that alone is motivating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have been there today. sounds like it was great. I'd like to try and read daily with the kids, maybe while they eat lunch. I like the meal time idea because they will actually be sitting in one place and have nothing better to listen to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok so the security word It had me type in to publish that last comment was "silent" haha how fitting since thats what I would be trying to achieve by reading at lunch. made me chuckle

    ReplyDelete