In less than a month I'll be living in a different state, away from my family and friends, on my own. In less than a month I won't have any parents around to tell me to clean my room, what time to be home, or what I can and can't do. In less than a month I'll be starting the beginning of the rest of my life.
Growing up I really wanted to go to BYU, probably because that's just something the youth in the Church are pretty much raised to want. But the thought of attending a school and being a part of a community that shares the same values as I do is what really stood out to me. Having the opportunity to go to BYU hasn't fully set in yet but I'm super stoked to go.
My family went to Utah last week and I got to walk around BYU. I found most of my classes and it made the whole idea of college so much more real. I enrolled in a weight training class and saw the weight room. There was a guy like bench pressing this bar thing with huge weights and immediately I thought, "what did I get myself into". I'll be this little girl that still looks like she's in high school working out with a bunch of guys. Yep college should be fun. Haha But actually getting to see where my classes are and where I'll be going each day has made college seem much more real and intimidating. Haha But I am much more excited now.
At BYU I plan to major in international relations. I'd really like to travel to underdeveloped countries doing humanitarian aid, providing relief for those in need. I want to work directly with the people and try to help better their lives personally.
I was talking to my mom the other day about my plans and she told me with this I wouldn't be making any money, I wouldn't bring in an income. I hadn't really thought all that much about the money aspect of this but I know if I'm sincerely serving then Heavenly Father will provide for me and everything will work out how it's supposed to. And I'll just marry some super rich guy and I won't have to worry about it. ;) haha just kidding
I haven't always wanted to work in the humanitarian industry but the past year the struggles of the world have become much more real to me. I often take what I have in my life for granted, I know I do, but this realization makes me want to give that much more. I've been given so many opportunities in my life so why shouldn't the rest of the world be given the same chances?
I've gone to school for the past thirteen years with out question of going, that's just something the youth in our society do. Now I get to further my education because I want to but also because I can. I've been thinking about that and how many children out in the world don't ever get to go to school. Here so many kids complain about it when so many other kids won't ever step foot in a building dedicated to helping better their lives. I think it would be really amazing if I could help build and start a school in a community in an impoverished country.
I told my mom about this idea also and she told me about organizations that help build schools and deal with the people and how BYU could help provide me with opportunities to get me on the path to begin working with them.
The Church has services that work specifically with humanitarian aid through the Latter-day Saint Humanitarian Center. This center was established in 1991 in Salt Lake City, Utah to prepare emergency relief supplies for shipment worldwide, train those desiring to develop employable skills and become self-reliant, and offer service opportunities.
Emergency relief supplies are constantly donated to the center as well. Supplies required by the Church consist of clothing, personal care kits, and medical supplies. Typically each year the Latter-day Saint Humanitarian Center ships about 12 million pounds of shoes and clothing, 1 million hygiene kits, and 1 million pounds of medical supplies. All of these items are dispersed to more than 100 countries.
The Church's humanitarian efforts have the ability to greatly impact people's lives. The story of Miriama Kollon is an unforgettable example.
Read story
Stories like this one may not arise from every single hygiene kit distributed but they are appreciated none the less. It's stories like Miriama Kollon's that really help us realize how such a small thing like a hygiene kit can make such an incredible impact on someone's life.
Throughout the year, people go to the Humanitarian Center to help with the preparation of relief supplies and help make hygiene kits like Miriama Kollon received. There are other ways to help support and be a part of the Humanitarian Center without going and performing work. You can serve in your community, serve as a missionary or short-term specialist, donate to the Humanitarian Aid Fund, or donate items for humanitarian efforts. On LDS.org there's actually a list of supplies that are needed that you can donate.
Our Stake Relief Society is doing many different projects for humanitarian efforts right now. They're making baby blankets, cloth diapers, layettes, teddy bears, and collecting books.
Our Ward Relief Society is collecting supplies right now to make hygiene kits.
A few weeks ago our family room floor was covered in packaged toothbrushes because my mom was counting them for the hygiene kits. Haha But the items that go into these hygiene kits are everyday necessities many of us don't even think about using. They consist of toothpaste, combs, soap, hand towels, and toothbrushes.
Many people throughout the world don't even know what half of these items are. In the documentary about Miriama Kollon she said in her hygiene kit she received shampoo and she didn't know what it was. She had no idea what she was supposed to do with it.
We wake up, brush our teeth, take a shower with running water, wash our hair with shampoo and conditioner, wash our bodies with soap, and can turn off the water when ever we feel like it.
I can't imagine living a life where basic cleanliness wasn't a priority. I feel gross just forgetting to brush my teeth once when people like Miriama probably haven't ever owned a toothbrush at all.
Elder Dallin H. Oaks gave a General Conference talk on service years ago and said, "even the most extreme acts of service- such as giving all of our goods to feed the poor- profit us nothing unless our service is motivated by the pure love of Christ".
Our service doesn't have to be as extravagant as giving everything so the poor have something to eat, it can be as small as donating a toothbrush to be put in a hygiene kit. As long as we're serving with true intent and are serving because of the love of Christ those being served will feel His love as well.
Moroni 7:47 says, "Charity is the pure love of Christ". Serving is one of the easiest ways to express your love for Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ.
Mosiah 2:17 reads, "And behold I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God".
When we serve Heavenly Father's children we are serving Him as well.
In his same address Elder Dallin H. Oaks also said, "If our service is to be most effective, it must be accomplished for the love of God and the love of his children".
Service has no meaning if we do it for the wrong reasons. Elder Oaks shared that --- read excerpt.
This is like much of the service we do in the Church. We serve because we love the people around us.
I saw a sign while we were in Utah that said "Love. Charity never faileth". Coincidentally this is the Relief Society motto and they're working on all of those humanitarian projects. If you're sincerely serving, you'll be doing it out of love. Love for what you're doing, love for the people you're interacting with, and the love of Christ.
Being raised in the Church has probably influenced this desire I have to serve. We're extremely fortunate that service is such a large aspect of our Church and I know it's only going to help make my hopes for the future my reality.
I'm really grateful that I have the opportunity to attend a school that will adequately prepare me for my future and provide me with opportunities to experience what I want my future to be like.
I'm so grateful for my parents and their willingness to pay for college. They're probably just ready for me to get out of the house but still. Haha My family is probably more excited for me to go to BYU than I am, it's kinda funny.
I have testimony of this Church and its truth. I'm really grateful for this ward and the strength it's shared with me. I've had such great teachers and leaders that i know have helped me get where I am today.
I'm sure I'll miss Napa, every now and then. Haha but I'm super excited to leave and see what Utah has in store for me.
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment