A few weeks ago President Frye provided a list to the leaders of YW Camp with all the names of all the girls in the stake that turn 12 this year. These girls would be considered “1st years” at camp. This is a life changing year! As I scanned the spreadsheet, I quickly went to the girls in my ward. I thought of each one, knowing of most of them. One name on that list is from a family that I had never seen at church. So, out loud, to the group of 6 women at the table, I said. Well, you can cross off Paige. She won’t be there”. I took my pen, and drew a line across her name. I didn’t think much of my comment until the next day.
Who am I to cross off a name off the Lord’s list? Now, the girl I crossed off is in 6th grade. She went to the same Elementary school as my children. I might be able to recognize her if I saw her. I had a few short conversations with her Mother in the past. I don’t know them well. I knew their names were on our ward list. I had NEVER talked to her about the church. They had no idea I was a Mormon. Did THEY even know what that meant? I knew that the husband of the family worked for Frye’s Printing. My thought was…if they really wanted to know more about the church, they could. They could ask the Fryes.
I tend to analyze everything. I over think things. I thought more and more about this young woman, I decided I could email her mom. I could find her email on an old school list. Then I decided against it. She must not want to know anything about the church; otherwise, she would just come. I didn’t compose the email.
In January, we were asked to attend a fireside. I happened to be visiting a Napa 1st ward that day, and Bishop Michie strongly encouraged all the members and families to attend. He said something to the effect that when we are asked to attend a meeting by a general authority we should listen and obey. He said it in a much more eloquent manner.
I went to that fireside. I didn’t take my kids. While I was waiting for it to start, I thought….Oh my goodness, what if President Monson is coming and I didn’t bring my boys!! I didn’t follow the counsel! Gosh, I felt awful! The message given was fantastic. I left feeling so excited about missionary work. Tonight I will reiterate some of the points from that night~
President Judd opened by asking us to read Elder L. Tom Perry’s message from the Oct. 2011 general conference, Perfect Love Casteth Out Fear. He wanted us to use it as a Family Home Evening lesson.
Elder Perry says: The Church is receiving more attention across the world than ever before. Members of the media write or talk about the Church every day, reporting on its many activities. Many of the most prominent news outlets in the United States regularly discuss the Church or its members. These discussions extend across the globe as well.
The Church also attracts attention on the Internet, which, as you know, has dramatically changed the way people share information. At all times of the day across the entire world, the Church and its teachings are being discussed on the Internet, on blogs and social networks, by people who have never written for a newspaper or a magazine. They are making videos and sharing them online. These are ordinary people—both members of our faith and of other faiths—who are talking about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Mormons are in the new these days for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that a member of the church may be the republican candidate for President this year. In politics, that’s not a deciding factor for me, so despite the increase coverage, I confess I haven’t paid much attention to the religion or it’s teachings.
In fact, as a rule, I’m pretty much allergic to all organized religions (including my own), so I tend to steer clear of them. Up till now, I haven’t had the least bit of curiosity about the Latter-day Saints. When those clean-cut young missionaries knock on my door, I send them away immediately with a smile and a firm “No, thank you.”
But the next time some come calling, I may invite them in for a conversation. I want to find out more.
It’s not their religious beliefs that interest me, though.
I want to ask them about their pantries.
The entire article was written about food storage and her thoughts about the church! She ends the article with:
Mormons also have a lovely, longstanding tradition of feeding others. I intend to convince more of those good people to move into my neighborhood. When disaster hits, I’m sure they’ll be willing to share.
I love this! This is just what we want people to say! Sometimes it’s not what our beliefs are that attract people. Occasionally it’s our actions. I hope we can be open to sharing regardless of what the topic might be.
One suggestion from Elder Perry is to be a righteous example. But be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”
Another suggestion is that we speak up about the church. You are likely involved with others in your professional and personal lives. Occasionally your associates will ask you something. Engage them in a two way conversation. Share something, but also ask about their beliefs. Elder Perry said that our tone, whether speaking or writing, should be respectful and civil, regardless of the response of others. We want to avoid arguing or becoming defensive. We don’t need to put a spin on our message. If we open the communication channels the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ will prove itself to those who are prepared to receive it.
There was much laughter during the fireside. We were taught that just a simple response to a question can be priceless. The world has ideas of what they think our religion is about. We can dispel the negative views by answering questions and commenting during discussions. How many times have you been in a room of people conversing and an idea is brought up that you have an opinion about, and you don’t say anything? This happens to me frequently. My goal is to open my mouth more, briefly give a positive insight. I can come up with a way to confidently give my view and bring a little light of Christ to the conversation.
I feel that there are ways to do missionary work that can fit into any routine. Get creative! One could post a Mormon Message from the lds.org website on facebook. Technology can make missionary work a snap! From sending emails to having the ability to watch devotionals from our leaders, we have electronic tools can be used for good!
When someone asks what you did over the weekend, tell them! Show your excitement on a topic that was discussed at church. Write a letter to a friend, share a quote that you have heard, provide service to a neighbor. We know what we can do; we just need to put our hearts in action.
I have had Matthew 7:7 on my mind a lot lately. Ask and it shall be given you; seek and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened to you.
|
Hi Kelly Thank you for thinking of Paige this sounds so much like something Paige would just love. Yes please send me info on the trip. And yes to your question about the family
Dave's family is Mormon…. he is a member just not active.
Have a great day and once again thanks for thinking of Paige.
Lisa
Victory!! Now, I don’t know if this YW will attend camp. What if she does?
“What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose
one of them, doth not leave the ninety nine in the
wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders,
rejoicing.” Luke 15:4-5
In the Name ….
No comments:
Post a Comment